Bronchiolitis 

So we are at Duke. It’ll all be fine, but Rowan has Brochiolitis. He got sick over the last two days with what we thought was a cold. It was probably RSV (haven’t heard those results yet), and led to Bronchiolitis. I picked him up from daycare yesterday with a 101.5 temp. Once we were settled at home and I went to change his diaper I realized he was retracting over his ribs and flaring his nostrils. Well, to be more specific I took a video and sent it to people who would know. They said take him in immediately.  It was about 3:30 by this point and I made a pediatrician appt for 5pm. Friends said that was too long to wait. So I ended up going to the doctor’s office at 4:25 figuring I’d rather hang out there.

One thing I have learned over the years is that no matter the tone of voice, you can tell a lot by the speed by which you are seen. They took Rowan back immediately, and the doctor came in and saw him before her other patients. His O2 sat level was 91%.  She said we would probably go to Duke via ambulance, but would try a breathing treatment first. We did xopenex in a nebulizer and gave ibuprofen and checked him again. O2 was back up to 95. He was still retracting and breathing fast, so she sent us to Duke, but said we could drive.

When we got to Duke they got him back ahead of everyone else. By this point he was looking quite a bit better and his lungs sounded good. Still slight retractions but way better. So after a couple of hours they discharged us.  I asked about a nebulizer for home and they said it wasn’t necessary. If things got worse to bring him back, otherwise follow up with his pcp in 24-48 hours.

We got home around 9pm. Zach took him until 11, so I got about an hour and a half of sleep. Then I got in the recliner with him. Soon he was absolutely burning up, and of course we could not find a single thermometer. We gave him some ibuprofen and he managed to get into a fitful sleep. We both dozed and woke dozed and woke until around 2am when he was moaning in his sleep. Then he was  inconsolable in his half sleep and was retracting again. Also he was breathing very fast.  I wavered for a little while but ultimately decided I head back to Duke.

He sounded terrible in triage. The CNA noticed his nail beds were a little dusky, and he was really wheezy and uncomfortable. His O2 was good, though.

 

Since then we have been playing the should I stay or should I go game. They finally decided to admit him, warning (if that’s the right word)  me that they probably wouldn’t keep him much past 8am. They did another nebulizer treatment and he sounds so much better. They didn’t round on him until about 10:00, and have decided to keep him for a few more hours because they would rather us stay a little while than go home and have to come back.

So that’s where we are. I am sure I will write a long-winded post tomorrow about the whole hospital experience in the wake of the previous experiences. But for now I’m working on just a couple hours of sleep in the last 30 hours, so my make words ability things are not working.


  

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s